Thursday, December 6, 2012

Convert relative urls to absolute in php with Phpuri

Here's another common problem, how do I convert my relative urls to absolute urls in php? In most scripting languages there's some built in class that can do this for you. Unfortunately php is really a web development language so general purpose libraries can be lacking.

I tested two popular solutions against my test case and in the end decided to create a simpllified 'port' of ruby's URI class. Let's take a look at the competition:
  • rel2abs - The nicest thing I can say about this solution is that it's the fastest. Unfortunately it failed 30% of my tests.
    Usage: rel2abs($rel, $base)
  • UrlToAbsolute - This one did fairly well, passing 90% of my tests. Keep in mind that many of the tests are rare edge cases, so I imagine real world success would be close to 100%. I could almost be happy with this one. Unfortunately the global namespace clutter it creates is a potential disaster, I decided it's best to steer clear of this one as well.
    Usage: url_to_absolute($base, $rel)
  • Phpuri - While it passed 100% of the tests, I will concede that the deck was stacked. In other words I had the tests in mind while writing it and the goal was specifically to pass those tests.
    Usage: phpUri::parse($base)->join($rel)

The Verdict:

Obviously I'm biased but I'm scoring this one for Phpuri.
Leave a comment if you disagree, I want to hear about it.

The Code:

require 'phpuri.php';
echo phpUri::parse('https://www.google.com/')->join('foo');
//==> https://www.google.com/foo

The Download:

View the project or download just the latest source

1 comment: